Friday, May 28, 2010

The Kind Diet - Red Radish Tabbouleh


Well, I guess I'm stuck on The Kind Diet recipes this week.  A friend of mine told me about someone she knows who happens to adore the Red Radish Tabbouleh recipe.  I love, love Mediterranean food, so I was intrigued by this recipe.  I wanted to make it as-is to see if I could stomach the radishes after reading about their many benefits.  Radishes regulate metabolism, improve blood circulation, help a headache, relieve constipation, brings down fever, is beneficial to teeth, gums, nerves nails and hair, and can be used to treat bug bites or stings (and many, many more benefits.) Seriously, the radish is that good for you?  Huh! While radishes are still not my absolute favorite, I am going to certainly try to learn to love them given all I have learned as of late. This dish is Superhero material for sure. The bulgur wheat adds plenty of fiber and protein.  And for goodness sake it has parsley, well, look that up sometime.  It's another one of those things you would never guess would be a powerhouse of goodness.  I'm not sure I could eat this in the serving size suggested, but along side some freshly made falafel, I'd be in heaven.

Nate's Two Cents:  Tara's being honest about loving Mediterranean food, but usually she's the one ordering the vegetable platter while I go for the gyro special, so I was a little unsure about this whole Tabbouleh thing.  Anyway, the good news: It didn't really feel like I was eating radishes. The even better news: the bulgur wheat has a nice texture to it and is surprisingly filling once it settles in the belly.  It's like a fine oatmeal, with the lightness and spiciness of couscous, and the expanding power of cream of wheat once it goes down the hatch (Tara's not going to like that description). A little known fact:  South Seas pirates used to eat Tabbouleh before plundering passing ships. At least, that's what I like to imagine.

No comments: