Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mis(uh)o Soup




I love going out for sushi.  It's one of my favorite things to do. There's something about the ritual of it all.  Chopsticks, little bowls of soy sauce, wasabi; It's just fun. I always order Miso Soup.  I had no idea until recently that miso is said to reduce your risk of cancer, strengthen your immune system, prevent aging, and minimize menopausal symptoms. While I'm not yet having hot flashes at 34 (Thank God), I'm not getting any younger.  Any food that will support my health long term is now being recruited!  The "Uh" in the title has to do with the fact that despite the pretty picture, I have much practice to do when it comes to getting the ratio right when making Miso Soup. This recipe used brown rice miso, ginger, garlic, scallions, tofu and a dash of sesame oil.  It was good, but maybe there's a reason I go to Japanese restaurants instead of tinkering around at home!  I'm also a ridiculous perfectionist, so who knows. Be prepared, this is probably not my first effort in the miso department.

No comments: