Sunday, June 27, 2010

Abstract Tart - Vegan Mushroom Tart


There were a few things I was sure I was going to have to give up on a vegan diet. Certainly puff pastry isn't vegan right? Wrong! Or at least the last package I bought had no animal products listed in the ingredients whatsoever. Now I'm not saying puff pastry is health food because it most certainly isn't, but if you have a hankering for something croissant-like, this is the product you need. There are a few recipes I make a whole lot that require puff pastry, so I was elated to not have to give it up. Tonight I made this yummy mushroom tart with the Daiya cheese I mentioned in my last post. I have to say, I'm loving the Daiya even more. It was delicious especially on this tart!  Here's the recipe:

Vegan Mushroom Tart

1 Vegan Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed
1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
1 lb. Mushrooms, sliced
10 oz. Organic Fresh Baby Spinach
2 oz. Daiya Vegan Mozzarella (a little under 3/4 cup)
2 T. Olive Oil
1/2 t. Garlic Powder
Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll Puff pastry out to 15 by 10 inches. With a dull knife mark border around the puff pastry. Prick with a fork all over. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Make sure that the puff pastry is cooked sufficiently. I've made this before and taken the pastry out before thinking the additional cooking time would make the crust too brown. It doesn't :) In the meantime toss onion in 1 T. olive oil and salt, and cook on medium low heat in a covered pot for 15 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes until caramelized. In another large covered pan, warm olive oil and cook mushrooms for about 10 minutes. Add spinach, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Drain mushrooms and spinach well, or it will make your pastry soggy. Spread mushroom and spinach mixture over pastry. Next add the cheese, and then evenly spread out the carmelized onions. Bake until the cheese is melted. Serve with a simple salad, and dinner is served :)

Nate's Two Cents: Puff pastry is comfort food for me. My folks were missionaries in Europe, so a lot of my memories seem to surface with flaky golden crusts over them. And I already loved sautéed mushrooms and onions before Tara busted out this recipe. At worst, three of my favorite ingredients were going to be present at the same time on my plate. Turns out, the three combine beautifully. It isn't guilt-free (puff pastry is not diet fare) but considering how delicious it was I'd never guess butter and eggs were absent. Tara stopped me after eating two pieces, but I fully plan to finish off what's left tomorrow.

3 comments:

Kate said...

That looks so yummy and so simple! I'll have to try it. I bet roasted garlic would make a good addition.

Sarah S. said...

I just learned this about puff pastry generally being vegan a few days ago, I'll be hunting some out my next shopping trip for sure.

Vegan Piggy said...

Roasted garlic would be delicious :) I have one sheet left, and will probably make something that involves chocolate of course. I look forward to seeing what you make Sarah!