Wednesday, June 9, 2010

One Day Till the Farmer's Market


Forgive the lack of posts for the past few days. My kind in-laws invited us over 2 nights in a row, which left my burners cold.  It was serendipitous that they did, because I was running low on anything fun to cook.  Tomorrow I get to go to my local market. I'm finding that I'm looking forward to my farmer's market days more an more. I love seeing what new crops are coming up.  We are still pretty fresh into the season here in the Midwest, so things are new every week.  In an attempt to be honest about what in the world I'm eating on said vegan diet, I'll share my not so gourmet meals as well for perspective. My fridge had very little to offer me tonight. Some spinach, a few lemons, a couple of pats of butter, so here is what I made:

Lemony Whole Wheat Pasta with Spinach

1 lb. Whole Wheat Pasta of your choosing
3-4 Handfuls of Spinach
1/2 - 3/4 Cup Warm Vegetable Broth
3 Garlic Cloves
1 T. Olive Oil
3 T. Earth Balance Butter
2 t. Lemon Zest
2-3 T. Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain. In the same pot heat olive oil and garlic until fragrant. Add pasta, vegetable broth, butter, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss, and that's it :) A delicious, juicy red tomato diced would be lovely added to this, but I gobbled mine up before I had a chance to use it here. 

Nate's Two Cents: After being on a mostly-veggie diet these past few weeks I have come to appreciate small wonders like spinach. In this particular little "thrown together" dish of Tara's I found the spinach, with just a tiny bit of salt for taste, packed loads of flavor--deep, complex, earthy, mildly sweet flavor that lingers on the tongue. I agree with her that the dish is sort of a blank slate, too, upon which layers of other flavors could conceivably be added--tomatoes, pine nuts, whatever you might have on hand.  But even as is, it was satisfying and tasty.  And for what it's worth, I'm starting to miss meat a little less.

2 comments:

andreadevon said...

when i am low on veggies i always throw together bowls like this too.... whatever random veggies are left + rice or soba noodles or pasta! one of my favorite ways to make it even more flavorful is with coconut oil. it's fatty but it is a different kind of fat that is metabolized as energy- so it's totally good for you and oh-so-tasty!

nate: i am glad you are missing meat less- good for you! there are so many ways to fill up on good veggie protein- i wish you luck finding them all! peace, a

Vegan Piggy said...

I'll definitely try that! I'm still building my vegan pantry, so there are so, so many things I need to buy. Coconut oil is definitely on the list :)