Monday, June 28, 2010

Vegan White Braised Onions


We scored these pretty little pearl onions on our last trip to the farmer's market. Nate was starting to stalk me on what I was going to do with them because they were so pretty. He even decided that they were worth popping in his mouth raw (not much kissing going on 'round here.)  I spent the much of last Christmas break snowed in, and with a brand new copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The best way to prepare pearl onions in my opinion is to brown braise them according to Julia's instructions, or I suppose it would be white braise since I no longer can use beef stock. Here I have made the instructions vegan friendly of course:

Braised Vegan Onions

20-24 Pearl Onions
1 1/2 T. Earth Balance
1 1/2 T. Olive Oil
1/2 C. Vegetable Stock
Bay Leaf
1/2 t. Thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste

Warm olive oil and earth balance to bubbling in heavy covered pot. Sauté onions over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Lower heat to very low, add bay leaf, thyme and stock. Simmer slowly for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until onions are glazed and tender.  



Tonight I also tried Gardein again. I dipped it in olive oil, coated it with bread crumbs, vegan parmesan, basil, salt and pepper and baked it at 425 for 20-25 minutes. It turned out great! I think I'll try it this way Piccata style next time :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I LOVE the Gardein chicken patties. I"ve made them piccata style, as chicken parm with my daiya "cheese" and homemade sauce, cut them in strips and seasoned them mexican style and made tacos.....SO many ways to use these ;-)

Vegan Piggy said...

I love them too :) I wish I had a whole foods closer, so I could buy them more often. The natural food store I have that is closer has them, but they are so ridiculously overpriced there that I haven't been able to justify buying them. I wish I just knew how to make something similar. I've made tacos as well. Super yummy!