Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Smartly Dressed - Balsamic Vinaigrette


I'm so happy that farmer's market season is here again in the Midwest. While some of you West and East coasters enjoy fresh produce year round, we suffer here during the winter solstice.  With my new veg-dentity, I have located the best makets to visit. We have a large city farmer's market here in Kansas City, but I prefer to drive a bit farther to the Farmer's Community Market in Brookside. It's like they hand picked all the best farms, and omitted all the extra non-organic extra filler vendors that you may find at a larger market.  It's so fun talking to local farmer's about what they like to do with this or that.  I bought this lovely lettuce, some tomatoes, and the most beautiful new potatoes I'd ever seen. Did you know a new potato could be beautiful?  Well, it most certainly can!  My favorite vendor I met hooked me up with the part of the stem that grows out of the garlic to throw on the potatoes (I totally forgot what he called it. Do you know?) He almost tempted me to buy a turnip.  I might try one next week :) Anyway, I needed to whip up a dressing for my salad.  Here's one of my simple favorites:

Balsamic Vinaigrette

3 T. Balsamic Vinegar
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1 Garlic clove minced
1/3 to 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
Pinch of sugar (optional)
Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

In a bowl, combine vinegar, garlic and mustard.  Add the oil slowly while whisking briskly.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I reduce the amount of olive oil for lower fat version, but if you like a richer dressing, go with all the olive oil.  Enjoy your veggies!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

have you ever been to Local Burger in Lawrence, KS? My husband is from Kansas City and we are going back in November and want to try it...

Vegan Piggy said...

No, I haven't been there, but it looks great :) I rarely make it to Lawrence, but if I do, I'll check it out! There's a burger place here called Blanc that is to die for (if you eat meat.) I haven't tried their veggie burger yet, but I'm dying to. I need to call them to see if it's actually vegan. There's another vegan place here called FUD that's brand new that seems noteworthy. I'll write about both when I get around to visiting :)