Monday, June 7, 2010

Soups up! - Vegan Black Bean Soup


I love finding ways to get in all the proper nutrition I need in my new diet.  Black beans are such a power packed food. One cup of black beans yields 15 g. of protein, 15 g. of fiber, 64% of daily folate, and 20% of your daily iron needs among other things. What's not to love about the black bean?  I've made this recipe a bunch of times, in a ton of different combinations. I love a versatile recipe that you can substitute and change to suit what is in season, or fits whatever it is I have in the pantry at the time.  I've used cannellini, kidney, and navy beans, and changed up the fresh herbs and spices. Bump up the chili powder, and add soy crumbles, and it makes a yummy vegan chili. It's super filling too, and won't leave you feeling hungry.  Have fun making this recipe your own.

Simple Black Bean Soup

4 Cans of Organic Black Beans
2 C. Vegetable Stock
1 Can Organic Diced Tomatoes
1 T. Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Medium Red Onion, diced
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
1/4 - 1/2 C. Fresh Herbs, chopped such as Cilantro or Parsley
1 t. Cumin
1 t. Chili Powder
1 t.  Smoked Paprika
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Place half of beans and tomatoes in food processor, and process until smooth. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and carrots. Sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Add broth, spices, bean puree and the rest of the beans to the mix.  If you like a more brothy soup, add  1/2 - 1 cup more stock. If you like a thicker soup, reduce broth from 2 cups to 1 1/2 cup. Reduce to very low heat. Cover and simmer slowly about 20 minutes, stirring every once in a while to prevent the beans from burning at the bottom of the pan. This soup tastes great with a small scoop of brown rice. Serve with warm whole wheat tortillas and a salad for a completely satisfying meal.

Nate's Two Cents: Tara has made a lot of soups, and a lot of them have been black bean soups, but this was by far her BEST black bean soup ever.  I warmed it up three days in a row for my lunch at work, and each time people would walk by and comment on the delicious smell (just before looking down mournfully at the prepackaged lunches they were about to eat). There's just something about the aroma of homemade soup.  (Really, I don't know why they haven't made candles in the smell of sauteed onions and garlic yet.)  Next time I'll bring enough to share.  Maybe.

14 comments:

My Man's Belly said...

Black bean soup is such a blank (but super tasty) slate. It's amazing how you can change the flavor and consistency to make something entirely new. yes, I share your love of black bean soup (as if you couldn't tell)

Vegan Piggy said...

Me too :) Glad to know I'm not alone in the world with my black bean loving self!

sillyfozzy said...

Im going to try this recipe. Just started liking black beans and have been looking for recipes!

Jackie said...

I made this soup tonight. It was fantastic. I added juice from 1/2 lime. The recipe is fantastic. Thanks so much!

Vegan Piggy said...

Jackie, Adding lime sounds like a great idea :) I love this recipe. You can do a million things with it!

Easy Vegan Recipe said...

The smoked paprika was an awesome addition. I have a Caribbean Black Bean Soup on my blog that uses coconut milk, but I'm going to try to make your recipe this week to mix it up. You have a great blog. Just stumbled on it tonight and gave you a link from mine. Keep it up!

UIDSarah said...

Tried this last night - thank you! I always appreciate recipes that call for items I usually have in my kitchen. it's a great recipe, and though I didn't have any fresh herbs on hand, I had everything else and it turned out wonderfully. Looking forward to lunch today:)

Katie-Lyn said...

Love this soup recipe! I've already tried it twice & it's delicious. I even freeze portions & it's still so tasty! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Amanda Blog and Kiss said...

Yup, yup, yup. I made this and it came out perfectly! Thank you so much, it's going in the keep-it file!

Robyn said...

I made this recipe at least six times last fall/winter. Today I remembered its existence and was so, so excited to make it again. This is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite black bean soup! I love it!

Vegan Piggy said...

Robyn,

So glad you love it :) You remind me that I need to make it sometime soon too!

Raven said...

This is similar to a vegan black bean soup I cook up at home: http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/legumes-recipes/beans-recipes/thick-vegan-black-bean-soup-recipe.html
But I am always looking for new ones, will definitely try this soon, thanks!

Raven said...

This is similar to a vegan black bean soup I cook up at home: http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/legumes-recipes/beans-recipes/thick-vegan-black-bean-soup-recipe.html
But I am always looking for new ones, will definitely try this soon, thanks!

Patty said...

Just came across you fabulous site and I can't wait to come back often. I switched to a vegan diet about 4 months ago. I also stay away from refined sugar and processed foods. I have lost 28 pounds so far, and I feel great!