Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Goodbye precious friend...I can't wait to see you again.


So, you who actually read my blog have probably wondered where on earth I have gone. In early July one of my greatest friends on earth and sister in law Shanna passed away at the very young age of 43 due to complications after several major surgeries she had had 2 months prior. We had been friends for some time before she became my sister in law. We talked often of how fun it would be to be sister in laws, and how we would cook this or that for our families. I thank God that she became no longer just my friend but my family in 2002. This has been to date one of the greatest losses of my life.

It's been hard for me to think about sharing recipes or cooking and not being able to share that experience with her. One of Shanna's greatest gifts to the world was the food she prepared. Raising a family of 4 taught her how to stretch food on a very tight budget, and to be able to share it with so many others as well.  I can't count how many times she brought me dinner; soups, lasagna, enchiladas, and of course her famous desserts which were the best ever! Her funeral was so big that they had to break out extra chairs because there were SO many people. From bank tellers to hairdressers, all had stories of how she had brought them one of her creations.  She was extraordinarily giving.

More than anything, I admired Shanna's ability to put one foot in front of the other and serve people despite whatever hurts she may have carried in this life. When I have been hurt, I have stayed in and kept my gifts to myself and chose not to share my abilities with others. She never, ever did that. What a precious gift to me she was, and now especially after I no longer have her in my life I know even more so just how great a gift she was indeed.  I hope to make her proud and begin to give as she did not only of myself, but of my food :)  I'll miss being able to put together recipes with her, and share food with her. I know that I will see her again, and can't wait to share with her all that has happened since. I hope to have many cooking parties with her precious kids, so we can learn from one another how to be more like their more than amazing mom. So, as I soldier on I hope I can share food with you too, my few readers, even if we may never meet or share a table. Thank you Shanna for your example, for sharing your amazing faith in God, for being a mentor to me in more than a dozen ways, and more than anything for your friendship.  I'll miss you so much.

7 comments:

MegandMog said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post is beautiful and your sister-in-law sounds like an amazing woman. I truly believe that the reason why some food tastes better than others is because it is made with true intentions and love. Peace be with you at this time.

Vegan Piggy said...

Wow. Thank you for your very kind response, and for taking the time to read it in the first place. She was so amazing, and you're right: Food that is made with love tastes so much better. That is the best ingredient :)

Kerry said...

I had the feeling something was wrong, I have been secretly enjoying your blog and loving your food and enjoying your posts so much and then you were gone, it didn't feel right. Your thoughts about your sister-in-law were absolutely lovely, how lucky you are to have had her in your life, and she you. You will carry on for her and with her close at heart, I wish you strength and courage and thank you for sharing the good and the sad with us.

ann marie said...

Beautiful. Well said, my friend.

xoxoxo

Vegan Piggy said...

Hi Kerry :) Thanks for your sweet comment. I'm glad you have been enjoying my posts, and that someone out there is reading them. I have more to come <3

XOXOXOX Back to you AMJ :)

Anne said...

I'm just a random follower, but I'm so sorry about your loss. Glad to see you that you are cooking/blogging again. Anne

Vegan Piggy said...

You're not random to me, especially not if you would take the time to offer your condolences. Thank you for caring :)