Thursday, July 29, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Cake & Chocolate Frosting


One of my many hobb-sessions, as Nate likes to call them, through the years has included cake making.  When this particular hobby/obsession came into my life, you could find me at Michael's or pretty much anywhere that had cake decorator tools. Of course like most of my hobbies, they die a slow death, but at least I can pick them up when I need them. My kids absolutely love when I tell them I'm going to make a cake. They run into the kitchen and grab two chairs and perch on them waiting for instruction on what ingredient gets poured into the bowl next. With only 2 weeks of summer left, it's a great time to bake together.  I'm sad to see my little helpers go back to school.  I have standby cake recipes that are most definitely not vegan. Time to improvise!


I found the cake recipe on Post Punk Kitchen. If you haven't already visited the site, it's a fun place to find recipes. All the recipes I've tried so far have been fantastic. I used the Rich Chocolate Cake recipe. I love that the recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour and maple syrup rather than sugar. Do follow the time suggestion. I left mine in a few minutes longer because it didn't seem done at the alloted time, and while it was still very moist and delicious, I think a few minutes less would have made a more moist cake the next day. I wouldn't know because I didn't have any left because it got gobbled up at a family gathering in 3 seconds flat, so it's just a guess. The frosting is a Chocolate Buttercream.  I mourn the loss of swiss meringue buttercream, as of course there are no eggs left in my life, but I have to say this one was still really delicious.  Really, who doesn't love chocolate frosting? I transformed an old recipe with vegan ingredients.

Vegan Chocolate Buttercream

2 C. Earth Balance Butter, room temperature
12 oz. Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate, melted and cooled
3 T. Plain Soy Milk
2 t. Vanilla
5 C. Powdered Sugar

Beat the butter in a stand mixer until fluffy for about 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly add melted chocolate with mixer on low. After chocolate and butter are well combined, add vanilla, milk and sugar. Beat at medium low until just combined. This makes enough to frost 2 8-9 inch cakes. I had leftover frosting which I plan to use on a few cupcakes, or to eat out of the fridge as necessary :)

Nate's Two Cents: I'm really out of my element commenting on cakes, but I'll say this much, I really, really enjoyed this one. To me, anything with "chocolate" in the title should taste like it. And this cake is the real deal. There's no way I'd have known it didn't have eggs or refined sugar.  In fact, the maple syrup worked so well it inspired me to start sweetening my coffee with it. So my advice would be to just not even bother telling your guests what the cake doesn't have in it, unless they accuse you of violating your vegan values. What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

20 comments:

Morgan-- said...

Beautiful cake Tara! Looks absolutely amazing!

Sarah S. said...

Love that first shot, adorable. Way to go on your first vegan cake, it looks great.

cake recipes said...

Woah, soy milk in cake? Seriously? Well, I've got to try this and see if a 'vegan cake' will earn thumbs up from my four kids, lol! Nice job on the frosting, really love it, :)

Alisa said...

Such a cute picture and what a beautiful cake!

Vegan Piggy said...

I have such nice readers :) Thank you guys! I'm curious what you think about a vegan recipe. I think it was pretty great, and I'm way more used to making non-vegan cakes.

Jessica Wilding said...

It looks so delicious! I will give this recipe a try. I've been trying to find a delicious vegan banana base berry muffin recipe. I have yet to find one that has turned out well. If anyone has one, please send it my way!

Minnie said...

That looks amazing! I've been having a go at vegan cupcakes as a way to dip my toe into vegan baking, but that cake makes me want to bite the bullet and go for it!

Vegan Piggy said...

I haven't tried banana muffins yet Jessica. My mom makes the best banana bread in the entire world, so I'm going to see how it translates into a vegan recipe.

Go for it Minnie :) After reading a bunch of recipes, I finally dove in myself. Why not!

Dawn said...

What a cutie. I would love to make this for my 2 yr old but she's allergic to soy too so maybe I could sub rice milk?

Vegan Piggy said...

Thank you :) I think he's pretty cute too! You could probably sub rice milk, though I might opt for almond since it's a tad creamier than rice if your little one is not also allergic to nuts.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks soooo amazing!! I was wondering if I could use cocoa powder in the frosting instead of vegan chocolate chips. If not could you could recommend a good brand of chocolate chips?

Vegan Piggy said...

I'm not sure you can use cocoa powder as a sub in this recipe. If that's all you have, you could probably find a vegan recipe through Google. Ghirardelli semi-sweet and 70% cocoa chips are vegan I believe. Sunspire makes some as well as whole foods brand. I did a search and found this recipe for frosting with cocoa rather than chips:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=275

Vegan Piggy said...

Or here's another one :)

http://www.joyofveganbaking.com/sample_recipes

Scroll down to find the frosting. You'd have to double it for this cake recipe.

Anonymous said...

How about trying a vegan Italian Meringue "buttercream", using a vegan meringue substitute? http://www.veganzestforlife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

can't find the "rich chocolate cake" recipe on Post Punk Kitchen. I kinda wished that you had posted it here with the frosting recipe instead of just the link 2 the site. Been looking 4 different chocolate cake recipes. Oh well :(

Vegan Piggy said...

Hi there!

Since I posted this, PPK redesigned their site, and most of the recipes went kaput! Fortunately for you, I copied it to a file on my computer :) Here it is:


Rich Chocolate Cake from the Post Punk Kitchen ppk.com
Submitted by Isa

prep time: 15 minutes | cooking time: 25 minutes | makes 12 slices

Well the name says it all. This is the richest chocolate cake around. To make it a 2 layer cake, multiply the ingredients by one half and divide into 2 seperate springform pans. If you don't have springform pans, cover the bottoms in parchment paper or it will stick.

Equipment:
springform pans, 2 good sized bowls, a wisk, saucepan

Ingredients
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purp unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain soymilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.

Sift together flours and baking powder and baking soda.

In a saucepan, heat the soymilk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Combine the other liquid ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Add the cocoa mixture and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.

Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350 F for 25 minutes until a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean. Let cool completely and frost with your favorite frosting.

bonnie said...

Ok,sorry for the long comment but WOW..just made this cake with the double recipie and baked it in a bundt pan for a Christmas dinner..amazing!
Thanks again for posting recipe as I was scouring the net for it after ppk re-designed. Had no prob with sticking, just greased pan with non-hydrogenated shortening and dusted liberally with coco powder before pouring in batter. I actually added more soymilk to chocolate mixture as it was too thick for some reason and some grain sweetened choco-chips ( so naughty but worth it) and accidently halved the oil..I just forgot to double it :P
I was amazed that it only took 40 min to bake..possibly less as mine was a bit crunchy on the edges. It does rise a lot though, almost covered tube in pan but still came out fine . I cooled for
15 min or so then loosened with a spatula and flipped, then covered immediatley to retain moisture. I'm planning to serve with ridiculously easy strawberry sauce from fat free vegan kitchen

Vegan Piggy said...

Yum! I think I may like your version better :) Kudos to you for making it your own! I'm so, so glad I kept a copy of this recipe. There were a few recipes from PPK that I make allll the time that were gone. Fortunately I saved some of them!

Bonnie Velazquez said...

Hello there!!
Thank you so much for posting this recipe you are a life saver!!! I used this to frost my best friend's cake for her birthday as she is a lacto vegetarian and she fell in love. I will now use this recipe as a base for any vegan buttercream I make. Thanks again so very much!!!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have the chocolate banana cupcake recipe from the old PPk site? I used to make them all the time and didn't save the recipe and the old PPk site is now gone. HELP!