Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vegan Fried Pickles - Bar Food Sans the Bar


I have totally and completely been obsessing about fried pickles. No, I'm not pregnant. It's my OCD, maniacal side. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but when I set my mind on something, I usually take it right off the deep end. Sometimes a girl just really, really needs something deep fried. Most fried pickle recipes I have found include eggs or buttermilk, so here's an improvisation. I prefer the slices to the spears, but pretty much all kinds of fried pickles are my friends. These don't need extra salting in case you want to head for the shaker. The sodium content in the pickles is plenty. I wish Nate hadn't left me alone with my vices today. Boredom and too much time on one's hands leads to mischief. Fortunately I only made a small batch. Am I the only one who adores fried pickles?

2 T. Brown Rice Syrup
2 T. Maple Syrup
1 T. Grainy Dijon
1 C. Corn Flakes
1/2 C. Flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour, but any would do)
1/2 t. Garlic Powder
1/2 t. Black Pepper
Small Pinch of Salt
2 T. Vegenaise
Jar of Dill Pickle Slices, large crinkle cut is best
Canola Oil or other Vegetable Oil

Pour about 2 inches of oil in a small heavy pot. Set over medium high heat.  On a paper towel, set a layer of pickles.  Pat dry. Combine syrups and Dijon in a bowl. Reserve 1 T. sauce. Combine 1 T. reserved syrup mixture with 2 T. Vegenaise. Set aside. This will be your dipping sauce. In a food processor, combine corn flakes, flour, garlic powder, pepper and pinch of salt. Pulse until well processed, but the corn flakes still have some body left. Place mixture into lidded tupperware container. Add 5-7 pickle slices to mixture. Cover and shake until well coated. Add to heated oil, and fry for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Set on paper towel to drain excess oil.

Nate's Two Cents:  For the record, I'm the one saying Tara's pregnant.  I just think there's something very ovarian about suddenly needing one specific fried food....and needing it NOW. But anyway, for what it's worth, I'm glad she had the craving.  The pickles were tremendous.  Perfect blend of sweet and salty, and somehow they didn't lose that "crunch" that sets good pickles apart.  I secretly wished she had made more.  There, I said it.  Tara, next time make more.

P.S. I'm really not pregnant. - Tara

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooh, I bet these taste sooo good! I would just munch up that whole plate in minutes!

Meg said...

These sound fabulous! After I get some vegenaise, I'm going to have to try your recipe!

Vegan Piggy said...

I just made them a-gain today. Nate hadn't had a chance to taste them so I made them for him (yeah right.) I think maybe next time I might try cornmeal :) You really only need about 7 (random I know, but that seems about right.)

Stroudster B said...

Hmmm.. now what would NON-Vegan fried pickles entail? Other that the enticement of frying them in duck fat...

Vegan Piggy said...

They're usually dipped in eggs or buttermilk, and have some kind of dairy dipping sauce :) I've never had anything fried in duck fat, at least not that I recall!

Kathy said...

I LOVE battered pickles! Vegan ones - yes!!! Beautiful photo. I hope you will submit this to www.FindingVegan.com ~Kathy

Vegan Piggy said...

I love them too (obviously ha ha!) I think I may have submitted this one, but maybe I forgot.

james said...

Actually I found some grocery stores that sell them in the frozen section all ready breaded. All you have to do is just drop em in the deep fryer. They were called "Mikes Fried Pickles" and were better than most I've had.

Health Seeker's Kitchen said...

This looks so good. I just added myself as a follower:)