Thursday, August 26, 2010

How I Love Falafel


Are you starting to wonder if I am ever, ever going to lose that last 10 lbs? I promise, I'm not only eating fried food. But, falafel is kind of healthy (I like self delusion obviously.) Protein fried in healthy fat couldn't be that bad right? Anyway, we love falafel around here. It's one of Nate's favorites, so I can never go wrong if I call him in the afternoon cluing him in on what's for dinner. He likes it when he knows I'm not testing something totally weird and obscure on him. I'm a fan of the Joy of Cooking version. I've tried many different recipes, but this is my favorite (so far anyway.) I've found that I'm not crazy about falafel recipes that use canned beans.  They end up mushy. No bueno in my opinion.

Perfect Falafel

1 1/2 c. Dried Chickpeas (Rinsed and soaked overnight)
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 c packed fresh parsley leaves
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 t. ground cumin
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. ground red pepper

2 T. Flour

Heat oil of your choice over medium high heat in heavy duty pan about 1/2 inch deep. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor, but not too long or they'll fall apart in the oil. Add mixture to bowl, and stir in flour. Form into little flying saucers. Let hang out for around 15 minutes, then fry for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.  
For the sauce, mix 1/4 c. tahini, 1/4 c. water, 1-2 T. lemon juice and a pinch of salt. YUM!

10 comments:

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

I loooooove falafel too! IT is so amazing and satisfying!

Vegan Piggy said...

I think it's one of my most favorite things :)

Veggie Belly said...

I love falafel too! and i think using dried chickpeas makes a BIG difference in taste and texture compared to the canned stuff!

Kylea Rorabaugh said...

Tara - fabulous new recipes and pictures!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan said...

I agree about canned vs. fresh beans. I adore falafel...I'd love to get my hands on the recipe from either Holy Land Café or Jerusalem Café. :]

Meg said...

I love me some falafel. I need to make it again soon. I'm like you, though, I try to tell myself it's healthy! I know it sure tastes amazing, even though it is less than healthy in reality. You can't eat healthy all the time, right!?!

14yearoldvegan said...

I love your blog! And.. falafel :) It's soo delicious! and may i say. healthy!

Vegan Piggy said...

I agree it's healthy, but not really low cal, especially in the quantities I want to eat :)

cyrell said...

If you love falafel then try vegan korokke.

It is an easy way to incorporate all these unloved veggies in a kids diet.

2 cups cooked, mashed potatoes
1 cup flour
4 cups fine chopped/coarsly blended raw vegetables(carrots, cauliflower, green beans...)maybe more..just play a little with how much colour you need.

This is just the base..i shifted the flour and mixed it with a spice blend for chili con carne before i kneded in the potatoes and the vegetables.

Maybe you want to try it with curry powder, some onions and garlic?

It will be a bit sticky, but just take two tablespoons and portionate the vegetable dough, then dip it in cocnut milk and coat with panko or maybe also nut meal.

Fry and enjoy

You can also try to bake it.

Vegan Piggy said...

That sounds great, and it would be nice to have something more ideas to get my kiddos to eat veggies. Thank you for the suggestion :) I may have to do that soon!