Saturday, September 25, 2010

Happy Birthday Sweet Silas!

Today my baby turns five. I can't believe these years have passed so quickly. He's my little apprentice, always willing to help me pour this or that in the bowl, or sprinkle a dash of this or that here and there. What a precious little guy. His request for his birthday treat was for chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I wish I could have gotten a picture of what he looked like after gobbling up his cupcake. So precious. Happy Birthday little guy :)

Oh by the way, these are (you guessed it) from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I've decided that no matter what kind of cupcake recipe you're using, 15 minutes is the perfect amount of time to bake the perfect cupcake. A few minutes over, and you've got dry cupcakes IMO. This cookbook usually recommends 18 minutes, but I think they're just right taken out a few minutes before. These definitely got 2 thumbs up from the birthday boy.

Nate's Two Cents: I'd like to brag about my son's unbearable cuteness, but I can only take half the credit for that.  I do know that he has great taste in desserts.  And he seems to prefer almond/soy milk over cow milk, so he's much more likely than his brother to go the vegan route...And on that note, by the way, this vegan diet is amazing.  I would never have imagined before that I could eat this much and not only not gain weight, but actually lose weight (about 17 lbs, for anyone who cares).  I mean honestly, I gorge on different combos of grains, fruits, and veggies until I don't think my stomach can hold another ounce...and somehow the next morning the scale shows no damage.  And thanks to Tara's culinary wizardry, I don't feel like I'm sacrificing taste to eat well.  Anyway the cupcakes: awesome.  Chocolatey, moist, perfect texture, and really beautiful.  Probably going to have a couple more before this night is over, come to think of it...

7 comments:

bakerymanis said...

you guys are so very cute- i love the his & hers stories! happy birthday to your beautiful little one, and good job on the cupcakes- they look amazing:)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan said...

Aw, happy birthday to your son!

Good for you, Nate, for embracing Tara's vegan diet! And Congrats on your weight loss so far.

Vegan Piggy said...

Thank you guys :) Amber, Nate is about the easiest person on earth to cook for. He had no intentions of going vegan, but after all the delicious food, the unintended weight loss, and the information there is out there, he has joined me. He didn't need to lose much weight, but he feels great. I'm going to have to work out to lose the final 9 or so pounds. I'm happy though. I love, love this way of life and feel great.

BraveTart said...

Can you share the recipe? I love trying out new vegan recipes. :) They look yummy!

Big Boys Oven said...

lovely, sp well decorated, would love to try thhis, will you share this vegan cupcake recipe?

Lisa said...

Those cupcakes are adorable and so is your son. I'm always on the lookout for a good vegan recipe.

Jennifer said...

They look fabulous and your son is such a cutie! I have that cookbook but haven't made these cupcakes!