Thursday, January 20, 2011

I wanna like them, but I just really don't.


As I've probably said a million times on here already; Nate's a pasta guy. I wanted to make him something that I thought might resemble one of his old favorites, so I made these Black-Eyed Pea and Tempeh Beanballs.This one fell very short for us. I actually don't think there's anything wrong with this recipe. I read a few other blogger's perspective on the same recipe, and they seemed to like them. I'm actually really learning to like tempeh a lot, it's just that while these look like meatballs, they just aren't. It's not that I'm missing meat, but when things look like meat and are weirdly not, it just doesn't work for me. My kids and hubbie gave them a valiant effort which always pleases the cook, but I don't think these will be tomorrow's lunch. Are beanballs just an acquired taste, or am I just not hard-core vegan enough yet to appreciate them? 

8 comments:

A-K said...

They don't do much for me either...but my partner just LOVES them. I don't hate them, they're just not at the top of my to-make list. :)

Kylea Rorabaugh said...

I understand! They look so yummy but beanballs just aren't meatballs! The ones I made with TVP were the closest to meatballs I have made and were pretty good...

Suki said...

Just wanted to say I love this blog! Your food always looks super tasty. I am a flexitarian so I like to eat a vegan or veggie friendly meal quite often. I'm not a huge fan of tofu but I definitely like sietan. Happy trails and keep posting!
http://sookton.wordpress.com

Vegan Piggy said...

Suki,

Thank you so much for your kindness :) It's always nice to know that people are actually reading my blog. Glad you love it! Hopefully I throw out a recipe every now and again that is useful to people of all different kinds of diets.

Best to you,

Tara

cyrell said...

There are just things you like..and other things you do not like.

Scientists say that people have to taste something three different times to realise if they like it or not because our ancestors had to be suspicious of stranges foods which could be harmful.

So if you ate something three times without getting ill, you are no longer suspicious and only then you really can judge if you like it or not.

For me..cauliflower.

Even when I know like it in some ways,I do not like it in all ways.Soup..ok..fried..great..raw..

No..

Maybe work a bit with the recipe?
Sometimes a changed concotion of ingredients will bring the taste out great.

I think nut meal and beans work great together.

Leinana said...

Is this the recipe from Isa's Appetite for Reduction? I had the one for Tempeh Beanballs flagged to make, but I haven't tried it yet. Sorry to hear you weren't crazy about them! I do think tempeh is a bit of an acquired taste - since I've been trying to cut back on the soy & gluten I've been eating a lot more tempeh. It really does have to be a good recipe to make it taste good.

Helen said...

for vegan "meatballs" you might try these: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/10/italian-meatballs.html I forgo the oatmeal and use ground flax. Also, forget steaming the tempeh, no need. I love them. (oh, also, make them small so they get cooked through better and there are more crunchy sides!)

Vegan Piggy said...

Great suggestion! I need more pasta protein options for sure :) I'll try those asap.