Sunday, January 16, 2011

A New Tempeh-tation - Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes


Granted: Much of the world still thinks that vegans are weirdos. Even as a former vegetarian, I though a vegan diet was a little extreme. No matter on what end of the spectrum you fall, you can't say that vegan chefs aren't creative. Since scoring Vegan Brunch yesterday, and reading about the Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes, I am even more amazed at the resourcefulness of said chefs. These Tempeh "crab" cakes are absolutely delicious. Adding a little nori gives it a little taste of the sea while the fresh red bell pepper lends a freshness, and the panko breading adds the yummy crunch. Ooohh, and the spicy remoulade is equally as awesome. When I make this recipe again (note, I said when and not if) I would instead of smashing the tempeh with a fork, whir the whole mixture maybe once or twice in my food processor. I think it would have held together better if I did that. Maybe I'm just a wimp with a  fork, or too impatient. This recipe inspires me to make Jack Fruit fish. More on that to come....

Nate's Two Cents:  I used to tell Tara that crabcakes were in my top ten favorite dishes (four of the other nine are Italian), so I was pretty excited to try a vegan version.  As it turns out, meatless crabcakes are delicious (they don't taste exactly like crab, but in a way that's for the best--wouldn't you be suspicious?).  Put your heads together, vegan wordsmiths.  We need to come up with a catchy name for this dish.  Tara already described the composition pretty exhaustively, so I'll just add two words: Joe Biden. And yes, that IS my attempt to get Tara's blog on the radar of someone in the White House.

This is the before picture of the tastily ever after.


Oh, and check out my sous-chef whipping up the remoulade. Nate doesn't normally like to help me in the kitchen because he thinks I'm a little controlling (ahem.) It was fun to have him help :)

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Mmmmm... I'm inspired, these will be showing up on our dinner menu this week!

Sarah S. said...

lol @ Nate! Not sure why I never considered this one when flipping through Vegan Brunch, time to rethink that.

Kylea Rorabaugh said...

Yummy! These look so good!