Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vegan Blondies with Chocolate Chips


Am I still alive? Indeed! Sorry to have gone of the grid for a while. I had taken a little time off to get things in order around here. I was looking through my picture files, and found a bunch of things I have yet to write about. For those of you who are familiar with Post Punk Kitchen and visit the site, you might have noticed their re-design. It looks great, but all the recipes are gone! Fortunately, I had saved some of the ones that I love and use often. This recipe for vegan blondies is so yummy! I make it often when I need something easy to whip up and take with me to a friend's house to share. My nephew loves this recipe, and asks me to bring "blondie cake" often. The consistency is more like a dense, and very moist cake than a typical blondie. The molasses adds a nice touch. So yummy! 


I try to keep most of these ingredients on hand.


Make sure to follow the recipe exactly. I have made the mistake more than once to add the sugar to the flour mixture. If you don't add it to the wet ingredients first, it royally messes up the final product.


You can use a 8 inch square baking pan, but I like round pans on most occasions.

Here's the recipe, in its original form. You have to try these! It keeps for a good 2 or 3 days, so pace yourself friend :)

Blondies with chocolate chips
Submitted by Isa
prep time: 15 minutes | cooking time: 30 minutes | makes 12 blondies
These basic Blondies are studded with chocolatey chip goodness. They taste best if you let them cool completely, and even better the next day after they are refrigerated.

Ingredients
6 oz container vanilla soy yogurt (I use So Delicious Plain Coconut Yogurt. The recipe is quite sweet, so omitting a little sugar helps.)
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup choc chips 

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 and line an 8x9 brownie pan with parchment paper and set aside (if no parchment is handy, spray w/ non stick cooking spray or brush lightly with margarine or canola oil) 

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. 

In a large bowl combine yogurt, oil, vanilla and molasses. Mix with a wire wisk. Add the sugar and wisk until well combined (about 30 seconds). 

In batches, fold the dry ingredients into the wet, slowly, wisking as you go along. Fold in chocolate chips. 

Pour batter into the brownie pan, spread with a spoon or spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is firm and brown. 

Let cool completely before serving.

8 comments:

Sarah S. said...

I am glad you rescued this recipe from disappearing off of the internet forever, it certainly sounds like a keeper :)

Vegan Piggy said...

Me too! I can't imagine all the great recipes that are gone forever. Hopefully they'll start loading them back up, but at least I saved a few :)

Kim Gordon said...

Just made this tonight for dessert! Family loved them! Thx.

Vegan Piggy said...

Yay! I love these :) Glad your family enjoyed them. I've never refrigerated them like the recipe says. I wonder how that changes them.

Vegiegail said...

That looks incredible! I love baking with So Delicious, and I can't wait to try making these!

LifeasKristina said...

Just came across your blog-love it! I adore the name!!!

Vegan Piggy said...

I can't take credit for this recipe, but it is really good! Thank you for your very kind words <3

Ruby said...

I just made these with butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips and they were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!