Friday, January 7, 2011

Vegan Blueberry Almond Granola


Granola is a blessing and a curse in our house. The blessing is all its nutritional goodness; the curse is all the dishes it creates. Nate probably won't mind me telling you about his little problem. I would guess that he could down 12 cups of granola a day, but his greater sensibilities create a much needed desire for moderation. If you purchase granola pre-made in the store you gain time, but lose flavor. I find most store bought versions are bulked up with chintzy rice puffs, or are crazy expensive. I do admit that this isn't cheap to make, but if the hubs is happy, then it's worth it to me. I hadn't made any lately, and Nate was starting to look a little morose, so I decided to be the kind wife that I am and make him some. I've made this recipe in a million different ways. The original recipe came from The Kind Diet, but I've changed it so many times and know it by heart that I may as well write it down for posterity. I'm not a raisin kind of girl, but of course you can substitute anything you like.


Nate's Favorite Granola
Adaptation from The Kind Diet

6 C. Quick Oats
3/4 C. Wheat Germ
1/2 C. Brown Sugar (Or Maple Sugar if you aren't broke.)
1/2 C. Sunflower Seeds
1 C. Almonds, Chopped
3/4 C. Dried Blueberries
1/2 C. Oil of Choice, I use organic canola
1/3 - 1/2 C. Maple Syrup or Brown Rice Syrup
1-2 t. Vanilla or 1 t. Molasses 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour quick oats in a 13 x 9 pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. In a large bowl combine oats, wheat germ, sugar, nuts, and dried fruit. Stir to combine. In a small bowl add pour in oil, syrup, and vanilla (or molasses.) Whisk to combine. Pour over oat mixture and stir to coat mixture well. Pour back in 13 x 9, and bake for 10-20 minutes. Stir granola mid cooking time so that it browns evenly. Watch that you don't burn it. We like our granola a little crispy, but it's a fine line between burnt and perfection. Let cool in pan before serving. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy :)

Nate's Two Cents:  I should probably look into a twelve-step program for my addiction to Tara's granola.  GA or something like that.  I blame my mother--she may not have sprung for Froot Loops when I was a tot, but we always had soft, dusty muesli mixes around.  So I learned to prefer "natural" cereals--the gateway drug.  Then Tara introduced me to homemade granola, and one thing led to another, and you know the rest--now I find myself hitting the granola jar morning and night.  She used to dot the mix with little craisins, but lately she's replaced the craisins with blueberries, and now I believe the mix is absolutely perfect.  Of course.

2 comments:

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

I love granola! And nothing beats homemade!!

thevegantummy said...

This looks great! I'll give it a try... Thanks for posting!