Saturday, January 15, 2011

Vegan Sausage Gravy and Whole Wheat Biscuits


Last night we went out with friends for sushi. We had miso soup, edamame, tofu and veggie rolls which were delish. I guess I was feeling a little entitled today after all that healthfulness. After seeing Vegan Pandamonium's post on Sausage Biscuits and Gravy, I had to have them. I even went out of my way to the store just to get veg sausage. This recipe is about as far from healthy you can get--for real. However, in an attempt to ease my conscience I made whole wheat biscuits. That doesn't really take away the fact that this recipe was doused with a heavy dose of Earth Balance. Ah well! It was fun to fool my 8 year old into thinking he was eating real sausage. He is often floored that something vegan can be so good. He's always trying to catch me being a non-vegan. Still even with all the fat, can I at least feel  better that this meal didn't have any cholesterol? C'mon work with me people :)

Nate's Two Cents:  Enough already about how it isn't "that" good for you, Tara!  Let me enjoy the illusion that I can have my biscuits'n'gravy without the guilt.  This recipe has to be better for you than the carni version, which as far I know still features enough cholesterol to stop a yak's heart.  Basically, my brilliant, erudite evaluation of this dish is: I thought it was really, really good.  Even if you're not a fan of fauxsages like "Gimme Lean" or whatever it is Tara used, you'll hardly think about it, given that the overall taste of the dish is so country good.  


In other news, I was super excited to find Vegan Brunch today at Half Price books. I rarely get lucky enough to find an awesome cookbook there that I actually already wanted. These biscuits were the Herbed Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits (sans the herbs) from page 187. The author states that she can't be "bothered to do 'cut-out' biscuits anymore." It really is an extra stupid step that I'd rather avoid too if at all possible. Less mess for sure except for the flour that ends up all over my shirt in the process!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.