Monday, January 10, 2011

Vintage Vegan - Seitan o' Greatness


Four years ago when I was yet to be a vegan, there was a major vegan internet storm about a circulating seitan recipe. I've tried to make my own seitan a few times, but I found that baked seitan is easiest to make. This recipe for Seitan o' Greatness is just about perfect. I made it as is the first time even though I had major reservations about the spice mixture. The original recipe calls for allspice and cinnamon. It tasted too much like pumpkin meat to me. There was no getting around those spices when trying to add this seitan to something like stroganoff or some other kind of wine stew recipe. I decided to give this recipe another try with a little tweaking. I ended up making a sandwich out of the first little bit. I sauteed up some mushrooms and thinly sliced red onions, and topped it off with a little spinach. Quite yummy :) I do still like boiled seitan for breaded and sauteed dishes, but this recipe holds up nicely for a sandwich.

Seitan O'Greatness

Ingredients:
1.5 C. Vital Wheat Gluten
1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast
1/2 - 1 t. Sea Salt
2 t. Smoked Paprika (This gives it a smoky flavor)
1/4 tsp Cumin
1 tsp White Pepper (I prefer white pepper in this recipe.)
1/8 - 1/4 t. Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder

3/4 C. Water
4 tbsp tomato paste
1T. Tamari
2 T. EVOO
2 T.Vegan Worcestershire Sauce

Preheat oven to 325°. In a mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the liquid ingredients in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two. I use my Kitchen aid kneading attachment for a few minutes. Form into a log. Wrap tightly in foil. Twist the ends. Bake for 90 minutes. Put directly on the cooking rack rather than on a pan. The first time I cooked it, it got tough on the bottom. Turn once in the middle of the baking time. Cool, and serve. I store mine in a zip lock bag


Dry ingredients

After kneading.

Wrapped before baking.

Sliced and ready to go.

9 comments:

Sarah S. said...

I actually don't have a staple seitan recipe. Still trying several to find my favorite, and this one will be next!

Vegan Piggy said...

Hi Sarah :) This recipe is more dense like Field Roast Sausage if you've ever had them. I like Urban Vegan's (the cookbook)seitan so far the best (for boiled seitan that is.) Have you ever tried Vegan Dad's recipes? Apparently the Fried (Chicken) Seitan is really good, or any of his seitan recipes for that matter. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet though!

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/search/label/seitan

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2007/09/chicken-fried-seitan.html

girlonthewing6 said...

I just threw this in the oven a minute ago!

girlonthewing6 said...

I am also very glad I posted that comment because I forgot to set my timer and had no idea how long it had been baking.

Ⓥ Jackie Ⓥ said...

That looks AMAZING!

Vegan Piggy said...

What did you think of it girlonthewing? Or had you already made it before. I'm finding that proteins are more of a treat. I've gotten so used to eating mostly beans and veggies that when I eat tofu or seitan I feel almost too full, like I used to back when I was a omnivore. But, it is nice to make every once in a while :)

Sarah S. said...

I have Vegan Dad's pepperoni on my short list. The fried chicken style sounds awesome too! I love the texture of field roast sausages so I'm sure I'll love this one. Thanks again for sharing!

KKK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Per said...

Amazing recipe!

The taste is really nice, although it did turned out a little bit dry. Do you have any ideas how to make it a little less dry? Lower temperature och shorter time in the oven?

Thanks,
Per